Feng Shui cannot change your life overnight
Feng Shui consultant Joey Yap - PHOTO: NGOC TRAN
Joey Yap, an internationally acclaimed Feng Shui consultant and bestselling author from Kuala Lumpur, visited HCMC last month. He shared his views at a media meeting at the CapitaLand Vietnam office on various issues related to Feng Shui and the property sector. Excerpts:
The Saigon Times Daily: You have been to HCMC a few times. What do you think of the qi of this city?
- Joey Yap: Based on the chart of the country in the next couple of years, there are positive elements coming, especially in the property-related side. You’re in the direction of growth. I always look at the chart first. That gives me an orientation of what’s coming in a particular country. Also, in terms of developers, they need to know whether they want to expand or whether they should just pull the brakes. This is very important for them to also understand whether there are prospects in the coming future. And being an investor myself, I always try to invest in the direction of growth.
Regarding the property sector in HCMC, you said it’s high now. But when will it be low?
- I haven’t gone into those details yet. It’s only my third visit to HCMC. I will look into that and possibly give some of my insights on that. But right now, we’re still on the growth path. It is also important to know that every individual has a cycle. Some of us should buy when it’s low, because that is when we get the greatest deal and our barriers of entries are low. Some of us, when there’s a good luck element, we can flip it though it is high.
Do you invest into properties here?
- Not yet, but I intend to. I invest in Malaysia, in Singapore, in England, and in Australia. I always look at properties where I do Feng Shui for. We have to eat our own cooking.
Many people say that Feng Shui has other different factors, like the direction of the house, the people, and the color. What is the most important factor in Feng Shui?
- Feng Shui is based on qi, energy flow. The question is “where does it come from?” The Chinese ancient literature says that qi comes from the combination between heaven and earth. Yin and yang. “Heaven” is actually the stars. And after thousands of years the earth forms mountain and water flow because of the magnetic pull. The theory is “As above, so below”. So mountain and water is also yin and yang. The combination between these two creates qi.
When we build a house, or a development, we have to tap into or align to mountain and water through the direction or the location to pull in or receive the qi which is created by these two things. That’s how Feng Shui works.
That’s why it’s got nothing to do with colors, with the paintings put on the wall. That’s got nothing to do with the decorations put in the house. The only people who tell you to put all those things, are the people who are selling those things to you.
Feng Shui doesn’t involve beliefs; it’s an environmental science. All you have to do is to understand how the energy works. You apply the directional changes, and it will work.
But Feng Shui cannot change your life overnight. It can improve it up to about 30%. The other 70% depend on your own destiny and your own actions.
What if there is no water and no mountain?
- Usually, when there’s no visible mountain or water, that land is called flat land dragon. In flat land dragon, we study all the roads as virtual water. When you can’t see, you can try and adjust the house internally to put or use water.
How many percent of your help comes true for a customer on average?
- A Feng Shui practitioner is like a doctor. We look at the house, and we see certain problems – then we recommend certain techniques to help. After maybe two or three months they give us feedback: “Hey, everything is so good.” No further advice is necessary. But let’s say, after a while, they still have certain problems, or a new problem comes; old problems are solved. Then some adjustment may be needed.
The problem is when people think that you do Feng Shui once, all the problems in their life disappear. It’s like if I see a doctor once I will never ever fall sick.
How much do you charge customers?
- It depends on the size of the project and how long it takes because of manpower.
By day, by hour?
- Actually, it depends on what the customer wants, because sometimes the project is really easy. The customer just needs an hour to talk to us. We don’t even need to go to the house; we just tell them the answer.
But sometimes it’s a long project. We have to look and study the land. We have to give an assessment, and to give recommendations and audit. After that there are presentations. And we have to teach the architect what to do; we do follow-up with the designers. Then we have to give the training to the staff, and so on, and so forth. It’s a long process. It depends on how much value the client needs. If it’s just a talk, it’s free.
Reported by Ngoc Tran