25.6 C
Ho Chi Minh City
Tuesday, June 25, 2024

More employers push for gender equity at workplace: report

The Saigon Times

Must read

HCMC – More employers are actively promoting gender equity through progressive policies, upskilling programs, and flexible work arrangements, according to a ManpowerGroup analysis.

The “World of Work Outlook for Women in 2024” report finds that less than half of employers surveyed report achieving full gender equity, with 41% indicating progress in this area.

However, bright spots emerge in consumer goods and services (69%), financials and real estate (68%), communications services (67%), health care and life sciences (67%), and information technology (66%) where a significant majority of employers report achieving gender equity.

Nguyen Thu Trang, head of Manpower Brand at ManpowerGroup Vietnam, emphasized the importance of gender equality in the workplace. “Gender equality means creating a fair and inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of gender. It includes equal access, equal pay, equal opportunities, and equal respect in the workplace,” she said

Flexible working policies emerge as a key factor in retaining and attracting diverse talent, with 37% of employers citing their effectiveness. Other initiatives driving workforce diversity include leadership development (30%), inclusive culture (29%), coaching/mentoring (28%), and academic partnerships (24%)

Leadership development programs are reported to be effectively narrowing historical gaps that have hindered the promotion of women to management roles, according to 30% of organizations.

Technological innovation is recognized as a catalyst for promoting gender equality, with 65% of employers stating that new technology has helped them become more flexible and diversified their talent pipelines.

Despite progress in various areas, achieving pay equity remains a challenge. Just over half (52%) of respondents report pay equity initiatives are on schedule, while the remaining 48% are behind or have no initiatives. Financials and real estate (59%), communications services (58%), and information technology (58%) are outpacing the global average, while industrials and materials (51%), consumer goods and services (50%), and health care and life sciences (49%) are lagging.

Uneven representation across roles is observed, with efforts to expand the number of women candidates varying by role type. Administrative (51%) and operational (48%) positions lead the way, while less female representation is seen in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) (43%) and top-level management (42%).

“While global employers expect rapid progress on gender equality in the next two years, our 2024 data shows that less than half of initiatives are on track. We need to engage all available talent and ignite human potential to grow sustainably. It is the right thing to do, and it is what we must do to prosper,” Trang added.

The analysis draws on data from ManpowerGroup’s employment outlook survey, encompassing insights from over 40,000 employers across 42 countries, along with proprietary sources.

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest articles