25 C
Ho Chi Minh City
Wednesday, October 20, 2021

New Covid-19 caseload falls below 10,000

The Saigon Times

Must read

HCMC – Vietnam’s new locally-infected Covid-19 caseload plunged 2,146 cases day-on-day to 9,360 today, September 18, the lowest since September 4, according to the Ministry of Health.

The ministry also reported 13 imported Covid-19 cases.

Among the new domestic infections, HCMC still accounted for nearly a half, at 4,237, down 1,735 cases over yesterday, sending the city’s tally to 331,032 cases in the current fourth Covid-19 wave.

Binh Duong came in second with 2,877 new cases, down 1,136 cases, and was followed by Dong Nai with 939 cases, Long An with 236 cases and Tien Giang with 197 cases.

In addition, Kien Giang has 168 cases and An Giang reported 143 cases, while other localities saw less than 100 infections each.

The latest Covid cases have raised the country’s tally to 677,023, with 672,592 domestic infections reported in the current wave.

Up to 448,368 patients have recovered from the disease, including 14,903 patients discharged from hospitals today.

Meanwhile, 220 Covid-19 deaths were confirmed today, sending the country’s total Covid-19 deaths to 16,857. Of the new fatalities, 165 were in HCMC, 39 in Binh Duong, seven in Kien Giang, three in Tay Ninh, two in Dong Thap and one each in Binh Thuan, Thanh Hoa, Quang Ngai and Hanoi.

In related news, director of the Binh Duong Department of Health Nguyen Hong Chuong has denied the news that over 149,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine allocated for the province have been out of date and destroyed while the province is in dire need of Covid-19 vaccines.

He said the vaccine had been administered to residents early last month.

The news came following a document of the department guiding the use of the Pfizer vaccine for those who have got the Moderna vaccine as the first jab, Chuong said, adding that the document had been misinterpreted.

Binh Duong has received more than 2.1 million Covid-19 vaccine doses and administered over 1.9 million doses.

In another development, Can Tho City has relaxed social distancing measures. Specifically, Phong Dien, Thoi Lai, Co Do and Vinh Thanh districts have adopted the prime minister’s Directive 15 since today, instead of the more stringent Directive 16.

However, residents in these districts must not leave the city or travel to extremely-high-risk areas until further notice.

The governments of these four districts must draw up plans to protect their achievements in fighting the pandemic and submit them to the municipal government before September 20.

The city continued suspending passenger transport services, wholesale and traditional wet markets, tourist sites and cultural and sport events. Trade centers, supermarkets and convenience stores have been allowed to reopen but must apply anti-pandemic measures.

Meanwhile, five other districts—Ninh Kieu, Cai Rang, Binh Thuy, O Mon and Thot Not—would continue practicing social distancing under Directive 16 until September 25.

However, residents in wards in these districts which have passed 14 consecutive days without any locally-infected Covid-19 case have been allowed to go outdoors for physical exercise from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. and from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Moreover, eateries and coffee shops can offer takeaway services and fully vaccinated people and Covid-19 recoveries can return to work.

spot_img

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

spot_img

Latest articles