HCMC – In response to the call from the HCMC steering committee for blood donation to solve the shortage of blood in the city amid the Covid-19 pandemic, the Saigon Times Group will cooperate with the HCMC Hospital of Hematology and Blood Transfusion to organize Blood Donation Day 2021 under the theme, “Saigon Times – Great Circle – Giving Blood”, on October 29.
The program celebrates the 26th birthday of The Saigon Times (October 2, 1995-2021) and the 30th birthday of The Saigon Times Weekly (October 10, 1991-2021).
The Saigon Times Group is calling on all valued readers, domestic and foreign enterprises as well as diplomatic agencies in HCMC to support and participate in the 12th annual program.
The Blood Donation Day will be held at the Saigon Times Group headquarters at 35 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia Street, Nguyen Thai Binh Ward, District 1, HCMC, from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
During four months of social distancing in HCMC, blood donation drives came to a halt, leading to a decline in the blood reserves, especially blood type O.
Therefore, the HCMC government has called on residents to support blood donation programs, especially amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
All registrations should be completed before 5 p.m. on October 22.
Only register for blood donation when you:
– feel really healthy and are not exposed to the risk of transfusion-transmitted infections and of Covid-19 infection.
– got two Covid-19 vaccine doses or one dose at least 14 days ago, or recovered from Covid-19 at least a month ago.
– meet the requirements on age (18-60), weight (45 kilograms or above) and minimum interval between two blood donations (three months).
– wear face masks at the blood donation site, wash hands with soap or hand sanitizer before registering for blood donation, and follow the guidelines of medical workers or volunteers at the blood donation site.
– carefully read and honestly reply to the blood donation questionnaire and fill in the health declaration form.
– inform the doctor if you develop symptoms such as cough, fever, shortness of breath… within 14 days after blood donation.
BLOOD DONORS SHOULD:
- Have a light meal and drink water (300-500ml) before donating blood.
- Consume enough food and drink enough water for 24 hours after donating blood.
- Lie or sit for 10 minutes after donating blood.
- Hold a piece of cotton wool at the injection site for 10 minutes and a bandage for four-six hours.
- Lie down with their legs elevated if they feel dizzy, tired and nauseous.
- Cover the injection site with a cold towel or ice if inflammation develops.
THEY SHOULD NOT:
- Drink milk, alcohol or beer prior to the donation.
- Drive for a long distance, work hard or exercise on the blood donation day.
WHEN DONATING BLOOD, YOU WILL HELP:
- increase the blood reserves
- save costs for society (reduce costs of materials and chemicals for blood testing)
- allow patients to:
+ pay less for blood transfusions
+ receive blood transfusions swiftly when needed
+ face lower risk of blood transfusion complications
BLOOD DONORS WILL:
+ be provided with medical checkup and consultation
+ undergo a blood test
+ receive a blood donation certificate. When donors need blood transfusions, they will be given a volume of blood equivalent to that of their donated blood at no charge.
+ be honored, commended or rewarded if they donate blood many times
+ have part of their travel costs paid for and a light meal provided
+ reproduce new blood cells replacing the donated blood volume.