26.2 C
Ho Chi Minh City
Thursday, July 25, 2024

Hoi An banh mi shop suspended after mass food poisoning

The Saigon Times

Must read

HCMC – The renowned Banh Mi Phuong eatery in Hoi An City has been slapped with a fine totaling VND96 million and a three-month suspension due to food safety violations following a widespread food poisoning incident.

Le Tri Thanh, chairman of the Quang Nam People’s Committee, signed a decision imposing the fine on the Banh Mi Phuong shop at 2B Phan Chau Trinh Street, Minh Anh Ward, Hoi An City.

The banh mi shop failed to follow the food safety verification process, including storage of food samples and appropriate tools for trash disposal, as well as violated other regulations related to food safety conditions, resulting in the poisoning of numerous individuals.

In mid-September, 313 people, including 103 foreigners, suffered food poisoning from consuming banh mi at that eatery on September 11 and 12. Among them, 273 people had to be hospitalized, and all have been discharged. A sample of char siu pork processed on September 11 tested positive for Salmonella spp.

Along with the suspension and the fine, Banh Mi Phuong shop has to pay victims of food poisoning their medical bills, as well as cover the costs related to transporting samples to the Quang Nam Food Safety Department.

More articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest articles