HCMC – The central province of Quang Binh has given the green light for the operation of many more quarantine facilities to cope with an increasing number of new Covid cases.
The provincial government this morning, August 30, put into operation the quarantine facilities at a vocational college, the Phuong Bac Luxury Hotel, the Viet-Laos guest house in Dong Hoi City with 500 beds in total and at two Ethnic Boarding High Schools in Minh Hoa District with a total of 408 beds.
The province is also setting up another quarantine facility at the Hoa Mai Kindergarten with 120 beds in Le Thuy District.
Further, as new Covid cases have resulted from community transmission in recent days, the province’s Dong Hoi City is working on a plan to allow direct contacts of confirmed Covid patients to self-quarantine at home, said Hoang Ngoc Dan, chairman of the city’s government, reported VnExpress.
The latest coronavirus outbreak has continued to spread in this central province. By this morning, the province reported 35 new cases and the outbreak has hit two more localities, namely Hai Ninh Commune in Quang Ninh District and Loc Ninh Commune in Dong Hoi City.
Up to now, the province has reported 476 infections, including 59 recoveries. There are also 5,300 direct contacts and 7,500 indirect contacts of confirmed Covid cases in the province.
In related news, the southern province of Tay Ninh decided to extend the stay-at-home mandate under the prime minister’s Directive 16 for another 14 days starting today. The province will make further adjustments to the social distancing period depending on the development of the disease.
To date, Tay Ninh has been following the stay-at-home mandate under Directive 16 for 42 consecutive days.
Since the pandemic hit the country early last year, Tay Ninh has reported more than 5,400 infections, including 3,350 recoveries and 87 fatalities, according to the Tay Ninh Center for Disease Control.
In another development, the provincial government of Long An, another southern province, convened an online Covid-related meeting yesterday to review the province’s efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
Speaking at the meeting, Nguyen Van Ut, chairman of the province and deputy head of the province’s anti-Covid authority, said the province is set to extend the shelter-in-place order under Directive 16 for another 14 days in localities at a high risk for Covid and for seven more days in areas deemed as safe zones such as Moc Hoa, Vinh Hung, Tan Hung and Thanh Hoa.
The authorities will make further decisions on Covid restrictions based on the development of the disease.
Up to now, Long An has confirmed more than 22,100 Covid cases. Of them, nearly 14,300 patients have fully recovered while 265 others have died.