26 C
Ho Chi Minh City
Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Hanoi cancels fireworks show on Lunar New Year’s Eve

The Saigon Times

Must read

HCMC – The capital city of Hanoi has cancelled a fireworks display plan at the Thong Nhat Park over Covid-19 concern, said the city’s chairman Chu Ngoc Anh at a virtual meeting held today, January 19.

Hanoi had earlier sought the Government’s approval to display fireworks to ring in the Lunar New Year. But the Government did not back the plan, Anh said.

Early this month, Hanoi was planning to set off fireworks at high and low altitudes for 15 minutes at midnight on Lunar New Year’s Eve, February 1. The fireworks show would be funded by the private sector.

Over the past two weeks, the capital city has been taking the lead nationwide in the number of new daily Covid cases, at nearly 3,000 per day. In the fourth wave of infection which began on April 27 last year, the city has reported over 97,200 cases, excluding those imported.

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest articles